Shelly will be here in a couple hours (drove all the way from Maryland) so we can start out on our way to our family reunion tomorrow in ID. She paid and picked out all the fabric and I used a Denyse Schmidt pattern to put the whole thing together. I hope she is surprised (in a good way) when she sees its finally done!
First off, no, I will not be doing a king size quilt again anytime soon. It was a monster to peice, a mosnster to quilt, a monster to baste and by since I had a deadline, I didn't even hand stitch the binding. Its huge.
I do love how it turned out though. I had my doubts at first, I didn't love the fabric (Moda- Lamour, Sandy Gervais), but it really came together and I like how it turned out. I just quilted loops across vertically as I knew that was the only way I could fit it on my machine.
A few things I have learned:
1. I am going to pre-wash everything now as this shrank WAY more than I expected and or I need to measure a 100 times. I was short over 10 inches and I still can't fathom if it was a shrinkage or a calculation error.
2. Cut the edges after quilting but before sewing on the top binding. I got into trouble which I don't care to expound on.
3. I really need a machine that had a 'needle stops down' feature, and also one that tells me when the bobbin runs out, so I don't keep on my merry way for a long time and not realizing I am not even sewing.
4. When you go through 5 bobbins in one sitting, its time to take a break.